Select Page

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday that Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani was planning a “a broad, large-scale attack” against American facilities, including U.S. embassies, in the Middle East, but he didn’t provide specific information about the plot. Pompeo made the new comments during a White House press briefing after telling Fox News on Thursday the government didn’t know when or where the attack would take place.

“We don’t know exactly which day it would have been executed, but it was very clear: Qassem Soleimani himself was plotting a broad, large-scale attack against American interests, and those attacks were imminent,” Pompeo told CBS News White House correspondent Paula Reid. President Trump addressed the drone strike on Iran’s top general during a rally with supporters in Toledo, Ohio, on Thursday night.

“We want Iran to behave simply like a normal nation,” Pompeo said, insisting the U.S. believes these sanctions will encourage that behavior. The president had announced there would be additional sanctions earlier this week but hadn’t elaborated on that announcement.

Read more…

Read Also: Trump says he deserves Nobel Peace Prize not Abiy Ahmed