Iran sites has granted UN inspectors access to one of two sites where undeclared nuclear activity may have taken place in the early 2000s, the nuclear watchdog said Friday.
“Iran provided Agency inspectors access to the location to take environmental samples,” an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) report seen by AFP said.
“The samples will be analysed by laboratories that are part of the agency’s network,” it added.
One diplomatic source told AFP the results of this analysis could take up to three months.An inspection at the second site will take place “later in September 2020,” the report said.
Iran had denied the agency access earlier this year, prompting the IAEA’s board of governors to pass a resolution in June urging Tehran to comply with its requests.
Tehran announced last week it would allow the IAEA access to the two sites, following a visit by IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi.
In a separate report also issued on Friday, the IAEA said Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium now stands at more than 10 times the limit set down in a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
The limit was set at 300 kilograms (661 pounds) of enriched uranium in a particular compound form, which is the equivalent of 202.8 kg of uranium.
Measured against the latter figure, Iran’s stockpile now stands at over 2,105 kg, the report said.
Iran is also continuing to use more advanced centrifuges to enrich uranium than is permitted under the deal.
However, the level of enrichment has not gone above that which would be needed for use in a nuclear weapon.
US trying to up pressure
The 2015 deal has been fraying ever since US President Donald Trump dramatically withdrew from it in May 2018 and re-imposed swingeing sanctions on Iran.
Tehran has responded by progressively exceeding limits on its nuclear activities set down in the deal. Read More…………….