Select Page

Michael Cohen privately told lawmakers earlier this year that Jay Sekulow, President Donald Trump’s current attorney, asked him to falsely testify to Congress that negotiations to build a Trump Tower Moscow ended on January 31, 2016, according to a person familiar with Cohen’s closed-door interview.

The negotiations actually continued through June 2016, and Cohen briefed Trump and his family repeatedly on the progress, Cohen told the House Intelligence Committee during an open hearing in February.

The House Intelligence Committee Monday released the transcript of Cohen’s closed-door interviews with the panel earlier this year.

Trump’s former fixer and attorney, who is currently serving a three-year prison sentence for lying to Congress and financial crimes, testified for more than 16 hours over a two-day period earlier this year. Cohen also provided documents showing that Sekulow edited Cohen’s false 2017 testimony to the committee about the negotiations for the construction of a Trump Tower in Moscow, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Sekulow has denied the claim, but Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) recently asked Sekulow and other Trump attorneys to hand over documents as part of the committee’s investigation into Cohen’s allegations surrounding the Trump Tower Moscow project. Cohen admitted that he lied to congressional committees about when the Trump Tower Moscow effort “fizzled.”

Sekulow notably declined to share his side of the story with special counsel Robert Mueller, who revealed his efforts to probe the matter in his extensive report released last month.

Schiff said after Cohen’s final appearance in March that the former Trump attorney and fixer “cooperated fully” and “answered every question we asked of him.” He also said Cohen “provided important testimony and materials relevant to the core of our probe and that will allow us to advance our investigation substantially.” Read more

Read also: Right-wing Australian politician who blamed Muslims for Christchurch mosque attack loses seat